Reasons for immigrating in....
- Political Freedom
- Religious Tolerance
- Economic Opportunity - People want a better life - better job - more money
- Political Refugees fear for their lives
- Some want free atmosphere
- Forced Immigration (Slavery)
- Family Reunification
- There are two types of motivation for immigration
- Push(need to leave in order to survive)
- Pull (attracted to new way of life)
The reason for immigration in the period from 1830-1890 is quite clear. Land remained plentiful, and fairly cheap. Jobs
were abundant, and labor was scarce and relatively dear. A decline in the birthrate as well as an increase in industry and
urbanization reinforced this situation.
- Jews came for religious freedom
- Italians and Asians came for Work
- Russians came to escape persecution
- America had jobs
- America had religious freedom
- America was hyped up in many countries as "Land of Opportunity"